Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I'm Leaving.

In approximately 28 minutes!

I realized, just now, that I've already gone through the motions to get to this point. And boy, has this day gone fast! Luckily I'll be adding two hours to its life, so techinically for me, this day is 26 hours long. You should be so lucky.

In Beverages today we had a mixologist come in. We tasted Vodka, Gin, Rum, Whiskey yet again, and then we set out tasting 3 kinds of bitters- blech. But kind of cool- cause then we added some of the bitters to the various straight spirits and noted how much just that simple addition could change the balance.

Then our guest speaker Adam Katz mixed us up a seabreeze with vodka, and one with gin, so we got to compare those. THen he made us a fresh, original recipe daquiri (recipe from the 1870s actually, involving rum, lime, and sugar, and then shaken with ice- none of this blending business). It was really quite good. Not sweet, just balanced. And then he made us Manhattans- one with rye whiskey, and one with bourbon, which, as I'm sure you already know, is whiskey made with 51% corn as the base, so it's a touch "sweeter." I liked the first three, the whiskey business isn't really my bag, but they were fun to taste.

It was a great class, and I will admit to feeling fuzzy headed at only 12:00 in the afternoon, but it's gone by now, and I know how to make you a great daquiri. Dudes, give me an outlet for this knowledge, cause I'm sure as heck not going to use it! :)

Anyway- see most of you soon. And a VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!

Love, Claire

PS> Looking for fun recipes? Try This, or this, or this, or even this!

0 comments: