Sunday, September 04, 2005

Sexy.

I walked home from dinner with the family, a lovely night with a light breeze and even a few stars in view. We wandered around the West Village after dinner at Markt, a Belgian restaurant in the meat packing district, and then found ourselves on thirteenth street walking back towards Union Square. As we walked, chatting and laughing, we heard the clinking of change in the bottom of a waxed cup. Up ahead I could see a haggard man standing on a ledge- worn and torn clothing with the street's dirt clinging to the edges. He was silent as we approached, only the sound of the change clanging in the bottom of the cup was heard. Only that sound- until we came directly upon him and he burst out (with more enthusiasm and rasp than can be conveyed here....)

"If you want my body! AND you think I'm SEXY, common baby let me in!"

And again.

"IF you want my body! AND you thinkig I'm SEXY! Common baby LET ME IN!"

This guy had exuberance like... well he really had it. And it was great. It was laugh out loud great- and not cause it's funny, but because it's so odd and off and wonderful you have to let it out. Nothing like the joy of desperation to make you sing, I suppose!

0 comments: