Monday, September 26, 2005

Christie Brinkley Hammered in the Rain.

Tonight was my first night helping at "Humanity Plaza"- which is really just Rockefeller Plaza, but it has a fancy name. Warner Music Group, NBC, and Habitat For Humanity are teaming together to create panels for houses that will be trucked down to the gulf coast states and then put together to give people shelter and homes.

Until Hurricane Katrina, Habitat for Humanity had never had a house they built (which is a number in the thousands) destroyed by a hurricane.

My title today was "wrangler"- which means that I told people where to go. I told the corporate big wigs and homeless people where to go- sign the form, sign the waived, get in line. They were all helping out- you don't have to have an income or an address to help out. That was something beautiful- a homeless person volunteering to help build another person a home. Hmm.

I never thought of volunteering as something that could be impulsive. The first thing that registers in my mind is an impulse buy- see it, gotta have it, get it. But in this case people were walking by, seeing what was happening, and saying "How can I get involved." It was neat. Sad, and yet exciting, is that we had to turn away dozens of people who wanted to help whom we simply could not accomadate.

Chris Matthews did his show 'Hardball' from Humanity Plaza today- Katie Couric was there too. Puff Diggity Dig was there to hammer a few nails for the four-to-six shift, and Christie Brinkley showed up for her eight-to-ten shift with a smile, despite the rain!

It is always fascinating to see how people behave- they want to be a part of something big- they want to be on TV- they want to help.

It was a privilege to aid in a way other than just tossing my 5$ bill in a bucket- though those 5$ bills are what are funding the project at Humanity plaza.

I think that's all for now. I just wanted to share some quick impressions/thoughts- though not poetic or detailed, hopefully you have an idea of what happened in my life tonight!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to say, as someone who can't do very much in good ol' Utah.

I am so very proud of you.