Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Snow Day in Florence! (Have some cheddar)

Well! The wonders never cease!

This morning I met my Museology class at the world famous Uffizi Museum (for those of you who don’t register that name- think of it as Italy’s Louvre- some of the Medici’s greatest collections... amazing) around 9:00am. Our class gets out around 11:45 but we usually run over, so I expected to have to run from the museum up to the bus to make it to my 1:30 class which is a good 20 minutes by bus- 45 minutes walking. But... I was happy to be at the museum!
We took notes like madwomen (it is all girls) and followed our professoressa around, learning interesting facts about not only the pieces themselves, but the people who owned them originally, the artists, the museum’s display of the pieces... never ending information! At about 9:25- after we had gotten to the Vasari Corridor (a long corridor connecting two palaces of the Medici- it’s over a mile long and stretches across the Arno River!) which is filled with windows we saw bright white cotton balls drifting down from the grayed sky- it was so lovely! Now they say (there’s that mysterious they again) that it never snows in Florence... we’ve had a few bursts of gallantry frozen rain and snow the last two days, but nothing that was too impressive- usually only lasting around five minutes. But today- it was still snowing at 12:15 when my professor stopped to call and see if the school was closed.
IT WAS! We had a snow day- IN FLORENCE! I haven’t had a snow day since... junior year of high school? I don’t really remember the last time, but I know that I least expected it to happen here! It was so nice to be in this wonderful museum with such a knowledgeable woman- and to be given a sort of (parmiggiano) gift of getting to stay there longer with her and learn more... it was really quite great. It was a great moment, I have to say- not much else I would have wanted at that time (don’t take that offensively, all you who I miss so much!).
So... it was a snow day! How was yours?

0 comments: