Saturday, June 19, 2010

What I've Been Eating.

Here are a few things I've been eating (from the first two weeks or so of the deployment):

First, this is my most recent vegetable box (I got it a week ago today). Some of the fruits of this have landed in some great meals!

Here's a "wedge" salad I made with some fresh blue cheese dressing.

Basil Pesto made from the basil from my box.
Salmon, salad, and sweet potato with cottage cheese.
Artichoke!
Leftover salmon on a salad.
Buffalo chicken pizza... a little one 
(I didn't eat all of it, as even though I divided the dough 
recipe and saved half of it for another dish, it turned out big).
I made these lettuce wraps. WOW. LOVED them, and they're so good for you!

Ooo, steamy!
The recipe, if you're interested, is here. I did it with ground beef cause that's what I had, and I added some chili flakes for heat. I ended up using wine because I had a bit, but the other liquids would work. This was easy, tasty, and good for you- try it!
A close shot of the flank steak I grilled up for the following salad:

Flank steak with arugula, parmesan, and chive dressing. 
Really yummy, and the recipe is here (it's a Cooking Light recipe!).
This is what I did (a week or so later, for the record. I don't eat pizza every night!) with the other half of my dough recipe. Margherita pizza, and MAN it was good! YUM. It's pretty basic, but the recipe is here (Cooking Light again! The June issue is FABULOUS). My only change was that I added the basil to cook the whole time, and I had grape tomaties, so I just sliced them really thing.

This was a green salad with "green ranch" dressing. It's a basic ranch but then blended up with a bunch of herbs. I didn't love it, but I shouldn't be surprised since I added all the herbs that I did, many of which I don't love (cilantro, etc).
Man, this was SO easy, and so great. A Peach Galette. I made a half recipe, and it was great. I'm sure it's even better when you do the full recipe since baking can be funky. The almond crust was SO good. The recipe is for an apricot galette but I like peaches better, so voila! Really yummy. 

My folks made this recipe and loved it, so I gave it a try. Shrimp and bean sprout egg rolls. They were easy and fun! I used smaller shrimp and cut them up into pieces cause I don't like big bites of shellfish. Also, I used spicy chili sauce (Sriracha) and that DID not work. WAY too spicy. Definitely get the sweet stuff, unless you're looking to clean out your nasal cavities. Ok, gross, but for serious.



So, that's the summary of the first two weeks or so. I've been doing the South Beach diet lately, so some of these things are off the list for now. I tell you, I keep thinking about the Margherita pizza. It would be a great appetizer too. The steak dish was awesome too... I was happy with all of these! Let me know if you try any of them! I'll have another round of pictures in a while.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Wow Claire....all those things look WONDERFUL!!! I love all of the fresh veggies! The dessert looks particularly yummy! :)

amishwolf said...

Cooking Light always makes me wish I had people to cook for! And the June issue really looks delectable. I'm glad the recipes are as good as they look.

Ashley said...

Looks fabulous, I am going to try the lettuce wrap recipe.

melissa oholendt said...

We NEED those egg rolls this weekend. YUM.